Re: 4GL metrics

From: Kevin Mallory <kmallory_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 16 Sep 1994 06:29:03 GMT

In article <3581rc$r1d_at_news.delphi.com> , dagmara_at_news.delphi.com writes:
>I believe this requset is for software metrics. The problem is that
>metrics are always defined for 3GL languages, because they are fairly
>easily to quantiff, e.g., lines of code. But how do you quantify SQL
 and
>SQL development???

Oracle Forms 4.0.13 (Currently in the media duplication/release process ) will
be bringing you the first wave of 4GL software metrics available from Oracle CDE. This
probably doesn't provide exactly what the author of this note is looking for for
estimating effort on new applications, but for those trying to do test metrics
for existing applications...

Peformance Event Collection Services (PECS) provided in 4.0.13 provides the following
features (of course in a portable way across the platforms which Oracle supports).

  1. Test Coverage

        This includes

        4GL objects (all major forms 4 building block elements)

                WINDOW,CANVAS,ITEM, BLOCK,LOV,EDITOR, ALERT, etc.

	3GL Code "Routine Level" Coverage
		TRIGGERS
		PROCEDURES

	After running your a test suite for a form application with PECS on and
	the resulting data into the database, you will be able to get reports
which
	detail % Of objects Covered/Uncovered. This feature includes the
capability of
	merging several disparate executions of the same form application into a
single
	logical run.

	This is at the "ROUTINE" level meaning that you won't be able to tell
which
	LINES Of PL/SQL did and did not execute.  This feature is planned for an
	up-coming yet to be announced release of Oracle Forms (HINT: see us at
IOUW!)                   I'm at home at the moment and don't have an example ASCII report to include,

         but when you get 4.0.13 there will be a new documentation appendix with all

         of the PECS information in it.

2) Duration Measurement of Oracle Forms Events

3) Duration Measurement User defined "business transactions"

Features #2 and #3 are provided via a PL/SQL interface to the PECS data collection
mechanism built into Forms 4.0.13

This again is documented in the 4.0.13 documentation addendum.

If there is sufficient interest I'll be happy to publish the builtin specs as a separate
posting.

Kevin Mallory
Manager, Quality and Performance Programs Oracle Forms Development Received on Fri Sep 16 1994 - 08:29:03 CEST

Original text of this message