Re: Ad Hoc Query Tools

From: Dennis Weatherly <dennis_weatherly_at_mentorg.com>
Date: 16 Sep 1994 16:05:13 GMT

Subject: Ad Hoc Query Tools
From: ksilverstein
Date: 13 Sep 94 13:13:32 CST
In article <1994Sep13.131332.1_at_crs> , ksilverstein_at_crs.stjude.org writes:
>Our site runs ORACLE v7 under VMS 5.5. We are evaluating ad hoc query
 tools
>for the VAX and/or for PCs and Macs as clients.

We've been using GQL for a couple of years now with good results. Databases have been Ingres and Sybase, but there's no reason it wouldn't work as well with Oracle. It is an excellent ad hoc query tool but it is _not_ a sophisticated report writer (yet). We found that folks who want reams of detail, formatted in a specific way were disappointed with GQL intially. Andyne has improved the report formatting quite a bit in the latest release. OTOH, folks who want to extract chunks of data for quick review or later use in Excel think GQL is great.

We've also checked it out with a network sniffer and found GQL to be _very_ network efficient. We're using both their built-in direct connection via MacTCP and Sybase OpenClient.

Dennis Weatherly
dennis_weatherly_at_mentorg.com Received on Fri Sep 16 1994 - 18:05:13 CEST

Original text of this message