trying to purchase a highly reliable ORACLE server configuration...

From: Deniz Akkus <deniz_at_atlas.ctr.columbia.edu>
Date: 15 Sep 1994 15:52:04 GMT

Sorry for wasting everyone's time but after wading through reams of product literature and some very vague salesmen I thought I would try my luck here..

We are looking to purchase a system that will have no single point of failure for running our enterprise database. We would like zero down time (or close enough to zero, like 1 minute).

We found one solution, the IBM HACMP 6000 system, (High Availability Clustered Multi Processing) which is 2 RS6000 servers connected together with a heartbeat, both accessing the same RAID bank. Oracle's Parallel Server would be running on this system. If one server goes down, the other server picks up the users and continues on.

We would like to see whether or not we can get a similarly highly available system using perhaps 2 traditional UNIX servers, 2 banks of disk and keeping the two instances of the database in sync through replication services or perhaps a transaction monitor and achieve automatic fallback and re-synching (in the case of the HACMP, the fallback is done through IBM's software and there is no synching needed since there is one RAID), and do so with as close to 0 down time as possible.

It seems at this point that with replication services, we do not achieve automatic takeover and there is no automatic re-synching of databases when the problem is over and the database is brought up. Although I have been told that using a transaction monitor this capability could be implemented, I do not know whether ORACLE has implemented this capability.

We have no specific inclination towards any hardware platform. Cost, although always an issue, is not our greatest concern.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Deniz Akkus Received on Thu Sep 15 1994 - 17:52:04 CEST

Original text of this message