Export performance and .exporting views .....

From: James Taylor <jtaylor_at_calvin.SLCS.SLB.COM>
Date: 15 Sep 1994 14:52:28 GMT

I'm trying to track down why our export performance varies so much. Today a full export of a database that is roughly 300MB spread over 3 tablespaces is taking well over 12 hours. This is on a Sparcstation 10 with 64MB of memory. The process appears to be CPU bound averaging about 80% user mode and very little paging or disk I/O. I'm especially curious about what export is doing after all the tables have been exported and the message ".exporting views" appears. Almost half of the total export time occurs after this message appears. Has anyone found some good information on how exports actually work?

Any hints or suggestion would be much appreciated.

James Taylor e-mail: JTaylor_at_austin.asc.slb.com System Admin., Computing Center phone: 1 512-331-3146 Schlumberger Austin Systems Center fax: 1 512-331-3760 P.O. Box 200015 Austin, Tx. USA