Re: linking w/ libresolv.a

From: Dave Morrison <dmorriso_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 13 Sep 1994 17:42:23 -0700

In article <354m9k$rlj_at_srvr1.engin.umich.edu>, Lewis W Kellum <lwk_at_engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>I'm trying to re-link the Oracle server & products to
>use the name server routines found in libresolv.a.
>When I do this, I get:
>ld: /lib/libresolv.a(gethostnamadr.o): can't mix pic and PIC .o
>
>I believe that libresolv is compiled with -pic, and the
>oracle libraries with -PIC. Does anyone know where
>I can get the Sun OS version of libresolv.a compiled with
>-PIC, or have another workaround for this problem?
>Please e-mail your response or interest in a solution.

Copy posted to net in case anyone else is interested.

One possible solution is to compile a copy of bind (which has libresolv) yourself. Since you will be compiling it without -pic or -PIC, you should not have any linking problems. There are other good reasons to use the newer libresolv, too (bug fixes, better handling of down name servers, debugging code (setenv RES_OPTIONS debug), added resolv.conf directives).

You can get the current latest copy of bind by fetching:

        ftp.vix.com:/pri/vixie/bind-4.9.3-BETA9.tar.gz
        ftp.vix.com:/pri/vixie/b9p1

You will not be able to ping this site, or ls that directory, just get the files.

You may want to subscribe to bind_at_uunet.uu.net by sending a message to bind-request_at_uunet.uu.net. They discuss beta issues, and announce new releases there.

Dave Morrison Received on Wed Sep 14 1994 - 02:42:23 CEST

Original text of this message