migrating Sybase to Oracle: problems?

From: Kevin Haney <khaney_at_Netaxs.com>
Date: 13 Sep 1994 17:26:13 GMT

We are considering switching from Sybase SQL server running on VMS to Oracle running on VMS, and I'm wondering what sort of problems/issues/etc. we should expect.

We are currently running a relatively small application using VB as a front end, and ODBC as the transport (?) between VB and Sybase. We only have about 5 stored procedures for some intensive stuff that was taking too long using VB, and looking at the VB code, most of it uses the SQL PASSTHRU option when creating snapshots (translation, it's passing the SQL straight to the server), but the SQL is relatively simple SELECT statements, with the occasional aggregate function, so I assume Oracle will handle this fairly easily.

The main concern is that we can migrate fairly easily, and that we have ODBC support (or some sort of connectivity) to Oracle from VB. Any comments would be appreciated, either here or via e-mail.

--
Kevin

| e-mail | khaney_at_netaxs.com | | | SN=HANEY%G=KEVIN%I=M%DDA=USERID=ZRMKMH%SUN_at_mcimail.com |
| web | http://www.netaxs.com:8080/~khaney |