Re: SQLNET V2 TCP/IP - erratic behaviour during connection

From: Andrew D Semple <bart_at_io.org>
Date: 9 Sep 1994 14:21:13 -0400

In article <34mauf$clt_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com>, Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>gopi_t1_at_verifone.com (T.K. GOPIKRISHNA, software,BLR,01191812-269920) writes:
>|> Hello,

        stuff deleted regarding ORA-3113 type problem

>|> gopi
>|>

>Interesting... can you tell us the exact platform and version of Oracle
>you are running? The fact that you are getting "EOF on ..." (aka ORA-3113)
>generally means you are at least reaching the listener. I can only guess
>that it's failing to spawn a shadow server for you or redirecting you to
>a non-existent dispatcher if you are configured for MTS. Neither of these
>ring a bell for me.
>
>Roderick Manalac
>Oracle Corporation

  We encounter this problem regularly on AIX 3.2.5 running Oracle 7.0.15 with SQL*Net version 2.0.14. The upgrade of SQL*Net to 2.0.15 is due to happen this weekend. We hope that this will help the problem.

It mainly happens under a loaded server. Our client app runs an expensive query on startup and sometimes gets 'end of communications channel' during the query. This was when the app retrieved the rows via an array select. That is rows were selected directly into the host array.

We changed the app to use 'normal' cursor based fetches rather than the non-standard way the developer chose initially (even though it is in the Pro*C manual). Since then the problem has diminished but not completely disappeared. The non-standard way used double the memory but seemed to be 'quicker'.

Any help in this matter would be greately appreciated.

Andrew D. Semple                              semplea_at_sx.com
Systems Xcellence Ltd.                 (416)868-1530 xt. 479