Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Hildo den Breejen <hildo_at_ideta.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 14:29:58 GMT

steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net (Steve Williams) writes:

>Subject: Oracle 7 small platform?
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle

>My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
>Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
>Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
>SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)

>We expect the initial system to support 35 users utilizing Windows based
>Oracle applications. The database is expected to be no larger than 10
>GB. The majority of the users will be frequently updating and querying the
>database.

>We are not sure what hardware platform to use for the roll-out.
>We are considering SCO Unix on a Compaq system but we have not heard of
>any Oracle installations using SCO. All other alternatives will be
>considered. If anyone has any experience or opinion on SCO, Oracle,
>Netware/Oracle, or Unix please respond immediately.

>Steve Williams
>(Internet steverw_at_intnet.net)
>(CompuServ 76264,3561)

We have some 20 SCO boxes running Oracle 6 and 7, some with multi G data bases. I don't know of any Oracle problems relating to SCO. They're all Compaq machines.

I would not run Oracle on a Novell fileserver. In my opinion you need an application server machine to run Oracle, not a file server. After all, you want to be able to do remote maintenance across a network, dial into the machine, run administrative jobs regularly, etc.

--
Hildo den Breejen <Hildo.den-Breejen_at_ideta.nl>
Ideta, 6 Frankemaheerd, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands