Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 09:03:22

In article <34o2pl$bmu_at_bantu.Provo.Novell.COM> darrend_at_tahiti.USG.Sandy.Novell.COM (Darren R. Davis) writes:
>|> My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
>|> Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
>|> Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
>|> SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)

snip

>Maybe this sounds like a sales pitch, but I would use Oracle 7 on
>UnixWare. Or better yet, OracleWare which is a bundled package.
>I am not certain if the ad is out yet, but we set a new benchmark
>standard with Compaq, UnixWare, and Oracle. Definately check into it.

>Darren R. Davis
>UnixWare Developer Support Engineer
>Novell Developer Support

>Any opinions expressed are my own, and may not represent those of Novell's.

I would suggest NOT choosing Oracle 7 on Unixware or Oracleware as Darren suggests. Wait for at least several .x versions before buying Oracleware (current version of Oracleware is 1.0).

Our experience with Oracleware has been this... 1:Purchase price $12,000 (25 user copy at major educational discount).

2:Horrible support. Took a week just to get any tech support, and .... Despite two and a half weeks of dealing with tech support, we cannont communicate with Oracle 7 via Version 2 SQL*NET. (Now they want us to pay $3000 a year for this same support, yea right. )

3:Documentation is horrible, with the most significant books "online". Online is a dubious term because the OracleBook viewer is completely counter- intuative and very different from every other form of on line doc that I have seen, including the online docs for Unixware.

As you can probably tell, I'm not to happy with Oracle right now.  I would welcome any chance to eat the words above if some knowledgable Oracle person would like to assist us with our SQL*NET problem.

Andrew McAllister -- Programmer Analyst II Office of Reserach, University of Missouri-Columbia The rantings above are my own opinion and NOT those of my employer. Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 09:03:22 CEST

Original text of this message