Re: Question on How to call a Select stmt in a Stored Procedure ?

From: Jason Lisenchuk <hris_at_nt.com>
Date: 9 Sep 1994 18:45:42 GMT

Question on How to call a Select stmt in a Stored Procedure ?

Please keep in mind that Oracle 7.0.x stored procedures cannot return a cursor; instead return a scalar value (like NUMBER or VARCHAR or LONG). If the SELECT contained within the procedure retrieves a small amount of data, you could consider packing this into a LONG (with appropriate delimiters) and parsing via C at the client. Alternatively, you could use the SELECT to summarize data and INSERT it into another table, which you SELECT and FETCH via C at the client.

I am hopeful that this will be fixed in a future version of Oracle. I would also like to be able to call a C module from within a stored procedure.

Jason Lisenchuk
ESN 334-7879 Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 20:45:42 CEST

Original text of this message