Re: Why can't SQL SELECT's fire triggers

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 9 Sep 1994 21:57:51 GMT

Earl Nall (ejn_at_ornl.gov) wrote:
: Oracle allows triggers to be fired when issuing SQL UPDATE, INSERT and
: DELETE, but not when doing a SELECT. I also see that this is not
: unique to Oracle as Sybase doesn't allow this.
: What is the reasoning behind this. It seems logical to me that firing
: a trigger from a SELECT would be beneficial in many applications (e.g.
: access control).

Allthough there might be some applications which could benefit from SELECT triggers, mostly it can be done with either the AUDITING options or writing some clever Stored Procedures.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---