Development and Production on same Oracle7 SCO bo

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 94 21:23:00 -0500

-> We thought two seperate instances with identical database names would
-> do the trick. Backing up the .ctl and .dbf files from the production
-> instance to the dev. instance, and changing the pointers in the
-> startup files and database should do it.

You are close. What you need is to do a cold copy of the database datafiles. Then do an alter system backup controlfile with the trace option (please forgive any stupid mistakes here on my part, this is all from memory from about 3 months ago). Then alter the trace file to reflect the new names, archive log mode, and change the startup to do a reset logs. This'll do it. Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 04:23:00 CEST

Original text of this message