Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Darren R. Davis <darrend_at_tahiti.USG.Sandy.Novell.COM>
Date: 8 Sep 1994 22:21:41 GMT

In article <34ndu8$an6_at_zeus.IntNet.net>, steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net (Steve Williams) writes:
|> Subject: Oracle 7 small platform?
|> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
|> My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
|> Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
|> Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
|> SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)
|>
|> We expect the initial system to support 35 users utilizing Windows based
|> Oracle applications. The database is expected to be no larger than 10
|> GB. The majority of the users will be frequently updating and querying the
|> database.
|>
|> We are not sure what hardware platform to use for the roll-out.
|> We are considering SCO Unix on a Compaq system but we have not heard of
|> any Oracle installations using SCO. All other alternatives will be
|> considered. If anyone has any experience or opinion on SCO, Oracle,
|> Netware/Oracle, or Unix please respond immediately.
|>
|> Steve Williams
|> (Internet steverw_at_intnet.net)
|> (CompuServ 76264,3561)

Maybe this sounds like a sales pitch, but I would use Oracle 7 on UnixWare. Or better yet, OracleWare which is a bundled package. I am not certain if the ad is out yet, but we set a new benchmark standard with Compaq, UnixWare, and Oracle. Definately check into it.

Darren R. Davis
UnixWare Developer Support Engineer
Novell Developer Support

Any opinions expressed are my own, and may not represent those of Novell's. Received on Fri Sep 09 1994 - 00:21:41 CEST

Original text of this message