Re: Creating primary key values with trigger

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 8 Sep 1994 04:01:07 GMT

ppf_at_fct.unl.pt (Pedro Pimentel) writes:

> This way I have to use a default value (usually 0) in the ID field in
>the form application (I'm using MS Access, much better than SQL*Forms :) )
>so that oracle passes by the not null check and then runs the trigger.

> Any other ideia, comments ?

Use Forms. Then you can have the primary key generated in a PRE-INSERT forms trigger, and even have it propogated to detail records you may be creating.

3rd party tools can be nice (Access has a good looking GUI to it, for example), but the Oracle tools are generally more completely integrated into Oracle. (But if anyone finds a really GOOD report writer, please let me know, I saw one at IOUW last year that I liked, but they STILL haven't released it.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)