Re: PRO-C

From: Stephen Zander <szander_at_tyndall2.tyndall.com.au>
Date: 6 Sep 1994 11:54:34 +1000

In article <Cvn2tz.6BJ_at_info.uucp>, Daryl Erwin <derwin_at_mach2.wlu.ca> wrote:
>In article <34dksq$jk7_at_News1.mcs.com> stowe_at_aol.com writes:
>>
>>In article <CvIABo.196_at_demon.co.uk>, <glenn_at_pst.bt.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Why can't I fetch from a cursor after a 'exec sql commit;' ?
>>
>>What's your server version? Older versions may have a bug which invalidates
>>cursors after a commit...
>
>Is it not some sort of compile time option (hold_cursor ? perhaps)

In Oracle v6.x, any commit caused the release of all locks for the current transaction. This leaves the cursor data invalid by default as other users could have made changes to the rows in question. If you want to re-use a cursor after a commit you have to reopen it

    EXEC SQL OPEN CURSOR xxxxx;

Don't think v7.x has changed things that much.

Stephen Received on Tue Sep 06 1994 - 03:54:34 CEST

Original text of this message