Re: Pro*C applications size increases under 7.0.1

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 94 11:00:00 -0500

-> Barry Roomberg (barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com) wrote:
-> : -> Has anyone else noticed, that when recompiling a Pro*C
-> application : -> under Oracle7, the stiped executable is about 6
-> times bigger? (from a : -> previous compile under 6.0.34)
->
-> : Yup. Doesn't take much more memory to execute, but really eats up
-> disk : space.
->
-> Looking at this same issue, are there any considerations other that
-> the amount of disk that the executables use? The size increase if
-> fairly dramatic and some reassurance from others would let me move on
-> to other issues.

I mispoke ;}
When I said "Doesn't take much more memory" I didn't take into account the user multiplier, ie: each process takes about 1 Meg more, then 30 users will take 30 Meg more. My Sco Unix box is a Dell 496 with 64 MB of memory and 64 MB of swap. All of a sudden the CPU spends 99.9% of it's time managing memory and paging. The Box can't go over 92 MB, so now I'm looking at a new computer, ie: Pentium 90 with 128 MB to start. Actually, 2, since we need a backup machine. The bill for hardware for the Oracle7 upgrade will run around $22,000. Ouch. At least I get to use the old machine(s) as my personal toys now. Received on Sun Sep 04 1994 - 18:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message