Re: RDB Sold to Oracle! Damn!

From: Michael Vilain <vilain_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 17:16:12 GMT

hobbs_at_dbsuk1.enet.dec.com (Lilian Hobbs) writes:

>First of all I would like to say that my own personal view of the deal is that
>this is GREAT news for Rdb, I am certainly looking forward to working for a
>software company.

>Since the entire engineering team is moving to Oracle and they are setting
>up a New England Development centre, surely this must reassure you that the
>future of the product is not in doubt. We are going to OSF/1 and WNT.

>With regards to pricing, some licenses are likely to decrease in price
>while others may increase, it all depends on your needs.

>An important point to realise here is that no one has to migrate to Oracle.
>You can continue running as you are today. Longer term, as Jay described
>there will be a single product comprising the 'best of both worlds' which
>will be a version upgrade , not a conversion.

>An Rdb Customer Advisory Council is in the early stages of being setup
>so that your requirements can be understood.

Lilian,

I hope you're ready for a BIG culture shock. The ORACLE company culture is VERY different from DEC's. Having worked at DEC for 8 years, interviewed at ORACLE, and had lots of aquaintences who've worked for ORACLE (and some that still do). Be afraid, be very afraid.

I was at first impressed with their building and where they spent money. However, if you have a personal life, kiss it goodbye. ORACLE people work, eat, sleep, do laundry, work, work, visit workman's comp doctors for repetative strain injuries, work, work, work, then leave after an average of 2 years for "better opportunities".

Enjoy your free time while you can...

/MeV/

--

"His code never ran fast enough"
"He thought my pocket protector was sexy"