Re: WIN/OS/2/ORACLE/TCP/IP?

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 00:57:37 GMT

In article <slob.1.00479B01_at_mindspring.com>, Steve Loboyko <slob_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>We have an application that uses Oracle via ODBC/SQL*Net (TCP/IP) running under Windows.
>A customer asked if this application could run under OS/2's Windows subsystem. I stated that
>the application probably would, but we didn't know if SQL*Net would communicate with OS/2's
>native TCP/IP.
>
>I would appreiciate any information on the following questions. I am fairly sure that a Windows
>stack will not work under OS/2. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
>1. Does OS/2's TCP/IP look like Winsock 1.1 to a Windows application?
 No, I don't think so.

>2. Is there an SQL*Net (TCP/IP) for OS/2? Does it work with Windows' ODBC?
Yes there is, SQL*Net TCPIP for OS/2, but you can't directly access it via Win-OS/2. You wnat an product from Oracle(Free to OS/2 Oracle7 customers I believe), call SQL*VDM. SQL*VDM will is a 'bridge' between Windows app running in Win-OS/2 and your local OS/2 rdbms or your OS/2 SQL*Net. I'm told, technically, that SQL*VDM 'looks like' a DOS SQL*Net driver to the Oracle apps(Not that that really matters to you).

An FYI about the various layers:

All Oracle based apps at some level talk to OCI(Oracle Call Interface). This is the layer that talks to SQL*Net(or SQL*VDM in this case).

The basic layers look like:
APP:OCI:SQL*NetClient:Network:SQL*NetServer:Oracle RDBMS.

There are, of course, some variations.
Stick ODBC in between APP and OCI.
Stick PRO*C in between APP and OCI.
Stick SQL*VDM in between OCI and SQL*NetClient. etc.....

...not a stupid questoin at all.... Received on Sat Sep 03 1994 - 02:57:37 CEST

Original text of this message