Re: RDB Sold to Oracle! Damn!

From: Ian RM Cowper <wdcowi_at_resmel.bhp.com.au>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 1994 17:34:09 +0930

Isn't life wonderful, just when I thought I had wrapped up all the answers on a major project Digital do this to me. I have had a long term relationship with Rdb and was quite content to use it for this job, however the press release gives me a headache as it implies that when our current service contract with Digital runs out we are cut loose to the mercy of Oracle's intentions for Rdb. Now it would be foolish indeed to believe anything other than the end of Rdb so...what to do?

The project is one also using Basestar, BGE (Basestar Graphics Enabler or SL-GMS in disguise) CIMfast etc. etc. and Rdb was the obvious choice as it handled Basestar okay and the run time came for nixie (sorry , free) and the quote I had for Oracle made me shudder. Now if I stay with Rdb do I have a future migration to accommodate or what? We do have a problem with Oracle in that the funds to cover the project are allocated and do not allow for licences and Oracle trained people so where next?

Ian

Ian Cowper                      net:   wdcowi_at_resmel.bhp.com.au
BHP Information Technology      X400:  C=au; A=telememo; P=bhpmel04; O=bhp
Whyalla, SA 5600                phone: +61 86 404827
Australia                       fax:   +61 86 404829