Re: RDB Sold to Oracle! Damn!

From: Jay Feenan <feenan_at_nova.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1 SEP 94 22:54:55 EDT

In article <33sk16$1u0_at_usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, valentin+_at_pitt.edu (Shawn V. Hernan) writes...
>In article <ddrukerCv94x6.q8_at_netcom.com>
>ddruker_at_netcom.com (Daniel Druker) writes:

.
.
.

>$100 Million is hardly going to save DEC when you consider that they
>have been losing that or more much pretty frequently these days. Rdb is
>demonstrably superior in many ways to its competitors, and its cheaper.
>The real problem is DEC's *pathetic* marketing. (And Rdb's reliance on
>VMS -- but fixes to that are/were in the works)

Actually the deal is that both Oracle and Digital will sell Rdb and other products. This is good news for Digital software...and some ex-Digital software.

>I think Oracle will take what they can of Rdb, and just kill it. Great
>deal for Oracle, bad deal for DEC and its customers.
>
>Shawn

Knowing, the critical 7x24 applications on large databases and the size/importance of these customers this statement is untrue. It is suicide in business and both Digital and mostly Oracle would lose their shirts in the law suits...

The agreement is to provide all future enhancements planned for the product adn then go beyond....these enhancements are many years into the future and beyond most customers wildest dreams.

  • Jay Feenan ***
  • Database Systems Engineering ***
  • Digital Equipment Corp. ***
  • ***
  • ***
  • opinions expressed here are solely my own and not those of my ***
  • employer. ***
  • ***