Re: Triggers in 7.1

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 31 Aug 1994 17:10:11 GMT

Martin Jensen (mj_at_dde.dk) wrote:
: Hi there

: The new possibility in Oracle7 7.1 allowing us to have more than one
: trigger for a table, action and type is great, I just tried it on 7.1.3,
: and worked fine.

: I am wondering though, if there are any controlable way to tell Oracle the
: sequence in which to fire the triggers on a given table, action and type.

Personally I do not think that the actual order in which triggers are fired is that important (What do you know when it is the third trigger??). What is important though is that you know in a trigger whether a certain action has or hasn't been done already. So if you have two triggers, that you know whether a certain operation has already been performed.

This (and actually the order as well) can be easily performed with the persistent PL/SQL variables in a PL/SQL package. So a trigger which will change some critical data or execute some specific statemens (like initialization) will first check and set the value of such a persistent variable and then continue (or not).

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---