Don't trust :system.block_status in Forms 3.0!!!!!(?)

From: Steve Frampton <frampton_at_vicuna.ocunix.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 14:04:32 -0400

Hello:

I am experiencing a strange anomaly with Forms 3.0, specifically with the
:system.block_status variable.

If I add a record, or make changes to a record, then :system.block_status reads "CHANGED". This type of behaviour is very handy in that it allows me to do auto-commits, check certain fields, etc.

However, if I change a field AND DO NOT MOVE OFF THE FIELD, then
:system.block_status does *not* get set to "CHANGED". This causes
problems for me because I don't know that a change has been made. What is strange about this, though, is that Forms definitely knows that the field has been changed, because if you press <Key-Exit> you are asked if you wish to commit the changes.

The thing is, since changing '940901' with '940901' is still a change (even though you are changing the field with the same sequence of characters) I can't compare the field with prior settings. So I would imagine that POST-CHANGE wouldn't work here?

How come :system.block_status doesn't report changes *all* the time? Is there a way around this?

Please respond via e-mail. I have temporary lost my feed for this group and won't have it again until school starts in September.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Frampton E-mail: <frampton_at_vicuna.ocunix.on.ca> Received on Wed Aug 31 1994 - 20:04:32 CEST

Original text of this message