Re: SQL*Net leaving defunct processes on server

From: Adrian Wilson <awilson_at_intermec.com>
Date: 31 Aug 94 19:24:54 GMT

Re: SQL*Net leaving defunct processes on server tonyh_at_muppet.bt.co.uk (Anthony Hudson ) writes:

>Our Oracle 7 server crashed this morning with the message (proc: table is full)
>There were 200 odd defunct processes owned by oracle.
>It would appear that every connection/disconnection from the PC leaves one defunct process.
>Since kill does not work on a defunct process.
>Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening again (other than rebooting the server daily).
>

>I am running Oracle Version 7.0.16.6.0 and orasrv Version 1.2.7.7.1 on a Sparc 10 with SunOS Release 4.1.3_U1 (GENERIC) #2.
>Oracle Forms 4 is being run on half a dozen PC's.

You would find in the version of SQL*Net that you are running, that every time a user logs out the process does not kill itself. And the processes keep accumulating and filling the UNIX process table.

This is a know bug. Have Oracle send you a patch and you should not have to reboot your pc daily.

Good Luck.

Adrian Wilson

          /\ LINCROSS  \/\ SOFTWARE \/\ SYSTEMS, INC. \
                      Seattle, Washington
                      Tel: (206) 236-5847
       "The pursuit of excellence and competitive advantage"