Connecting a PC to a remote Oracle database

From: Jim McCusker <jim_at_stargate.helios.nd.edu>
Date: 30 Aug 1994 15:43:17 GMT

I was wondering if someone might comment on my current understanding of connecting a PC to a remote Oracle database. Our remote database will be running on an IBM RS/6000 workstation and our connection to it will be via T1 lines. I presently envision the structure of this as:

 +---------------------+   +---------------------+   +--------------------+
 |                     |   |                     |   |                    |
 | +-----------------+ |   | +-----------------+ |   | +-----------------+|

| | LSL |<----->| TCP/IP Layer |<----->| Oracle Gateway? ||
| +-----------------+ | | +-----------------+ | | +-----------------+| | | | | | | | | | | +-----------------+ | | | | | +-----------------+|
| | TCP/IP | | | | | | | Oracle Engine ||
| +-----------------+ | | | | | +-----------------+| | | | | | | | | | | +-----------------+ | | | | | +-----------------+|
| | Oracle SQL*Net | | | | | | | Oracle Database ||
| | TCP/IP | | | | | | +-----------------+|
| | Jet Engine |<----->| Files | | | |
| | Application | | | | | |

 Connection between PC and Novell is Ethernet.  Connection between Novell Network and RS/6000 is a T1 line.

We're presently developing our application in Visual Basic and aren't quite sure what is involved in connecting to the remote database. Currently, we aren't sure what is needed (hardware/software) to make the TCP/IP connection to the T1 lines.

  • Jim