Re: Mac SQL*Net VS Oracel VS Oracle 7

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 30 Aug 1994 15:04:30 GMT

scott_at_uscs.com (Scott M. Langdoc) writes:

> Version 1.5 of SQL*Net for Macintosh (TCP/IP) works with the Oracle7
> instances we have running on our AIX database servers. There are a
> variety of tools for the Macintosh that support SQL*Net - including Oracle
> Forms 4.0, Blyth's Omnis7, Brio's DataEdit, and ACI's 4th Dimension using
> their Oracle gateway. If you are looking for true Macintosh capability
> and look/feel- 4D with Oracle seems to work well. If you need
> cross-platform support, the others support Windows and Motif. As far as
> SQL*Net is concerned, I believe version 1.5 is the latest version.

Has anyone been successful running SQL*Net on the newer Macs? I have had very poor results running a SQL*Net applications (actually two - Omis 7 and Oracle DataBrowser) using the following configuration:

Macintosh Centris 650 (cpu cache on or off) System software 7.1
MacTCP 2.0.4
SQL*Net 1.5

The other system is a Quadra 800 which is another 040 system. I think there may be a problem with the 040 chip, since I can sometimes get it to work with the cache off (which defeats the performance advantages). But, it is not reliable. It definitely does not work with the cpu cache turned on.

Essentially, the client connects to the database, but freezes either right away when the application is retrieving various tables during initial setup or during a later query/update operation.

In the case of data browser, it will freeze the moment I go to get the list of database tables if the cache is on. When the cache is off, the table list comes up and I can execute queries, but it will still freeze when I try to add more tables to the query - this is not 100% repeatable.

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has successfully used SQL*Net with an 040 chip with the cache ON. Also, is there a version past 1.5 yet? I was told that 2.0 was on the market but only works with v7 databases.

Glenn Stauffer
Swarthmore College Received on Tue Aug 30 1994 - 17:04:30 CEST

Original text of this message