Re: RDB Sold to Oracle! Damn!

From: Shawn V. Hernan <valentin+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: 29 Aug 1994 12:24:06 GMT

In article <ddrukerCv94x6.q8_at_netcom.com> ddruker_at_netcom.com (Daniel Druker) writes:

> For Digital, it means that they can eliminate rdb development, support, and
> marketing. They get a nice chunk of cash or stock for doing so. They can
> invest this cash in projects that provide higher returns for them than
> rdb did - building computers for example. If providing rdb was losing
> money for DEC, or if it was not making as much money for them as spending
> the same dollars elsewhere, it was a very smart move to sell it off.

$100 Million is hardly going to save DEC when you consider that they have been losing that or more much pretty frequently these days. Rdb is demonstrably superior in many ways to its competitors, and its cheaper. The real problem is DEC's *pathetic* marketing. (And Rdb's reliance on VMS -- but fixes to that are/were in the works)

I think Oracle will take what they can of Rdb, and just kill it. Great deal for Oracle, bad deal for DEC and its customers.

Shawn

Shawn Valentine Hernan |
The University of Pittsburgh | Dump the RICO Laws

valentin+_at_pitt.edu             |
412-624-6425                   |