Re: oraperl problem with &ora_do(..)

From: Hank Robinson <cudau_at_csv.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: 29 Aug 1994 15:19:09 +0100

jstander_at_ml.csiro.au (Jeff Stander) writes:

> The following oraperl script goes off into never-never land while executing
> the &ora_do statement and has to be killed. However, THE TABLE IS CREATED BY
> THIS STATEMENT! Have any of you oraperl hackers seen this problem or know
> what to do about it? I am working on a Sun 10 under SunOS with patch 3 of
> oraperl and perl 4.0 patchlevel 35.

This happens to me, too, and I'm also interested in hearing any replies. Sounds like I've got Exactly the same problem; I'm working on a Sun SPARCentre 2000 under SunOS 5.3 (Solaris 2.3) with patch 4 (version 2) of oraperl and perl 4.0 patchlevel 36.

The problem seemed to suddenly manifest itself when we went from Oracle 7.0.12 to 7.0.16, when a whole load of my oraperl scripts stopped working; in particular my "create_ora_users" scripts, which keep my oracle users more or less in line with our Unix users. The problem seems to be mostly associated with the use of oraperl's &ora_do function, but the same SQL code inside other oraperl functions also ceased to work.

Interestingly enough, the SQL that doesn't 'work' also doesn't 'work' when done through the 'sql' program supplied with oraperl, but everything works fine through sqlplus.

> #!/usr/local/bin/oraperl

> $|=1;
> $lda=&ora_login("","","");
> print "creating.";
> print &ora_do($lda,"create table junk (test varchar2(20))");
> print "\n";

I see you, like me, use os_authent_prefix = "" :-)

We'd be interested in giving as much diagnostic help as possible to anyone who tries to fix this (Kevin? {welcome back, btw}).

> Thanks,

> Jeff

> Jeff.Stander_at_ml.csiro.au _--_|\ Database Analyst
> CSIRO Division Of Fisheries / \ Pelagic Fisheries Resources
> GPO Box 1538, Hobart \_.--._/ Tasmania 7001, Australia
> Aus Tel: 002-325-332 v Intl Tel: +61-02-325-332
> Aus Fax: 002-325-000 Intl Fax: +61-02-325-000

Hank Robinson
Oracle DBA
University of Warwick Received on Mon Aug 29 1994 - 16:19:09 CEST

Original text of this message