Re: Can not View tables on Oracle 7.0...Help...Help...

From: Bill Wood <wood_at_dess0.light.ge.com>
Date: 26 Aug 1994 22:43:07 GMT

In article <33jrvp$958_at_cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, choudhry_at_wam.umd.edu (Zafar Ullah Choudhry) writes:
|> I am using a combination of Oracle7.0 and MS-Access1.1. Recently, I
|> have exported a few tables to the Oracle server. The problem is that I
|> can not access any of these table on the server. The server shows me
|> those tables when I use "Select * from tabs", however, I can not use
|> any SQL command that will refer to these tables. Any reference to these
|> tables results in "table or view" does not exist error.
|>
|> I tried to attach these tables to ACCESS, that lets me view these tables
|> but for some reason, in read-only mode. I tried to create a table on
|> Oracle server and then attaced them to ACCESS. In this case, ACCESS
|> even lets me modify these tables.
|>
|> Summary of my questions is:
|> - Why cann't I view(or refer to ) the tables exported from
|> ACCESS to ORACLE ?
|> - Why do these tables attach in read-only mode with ACCESS
|> - Is there anyway that I can delete these tables from the
|> server.
|>
|> I will appreciate any help in this matter. BTW, I am using ODBC drivers
|> from Oracle to export these tables from ACCESS>
|>
|> Thanks.
|> ZAFar.

One thing I have found is that ACCESS can only do update activities on Oracle tables which have primary keys defined. If the tables exported from ACCESS to ORACLE do not have primary keys after the export then adding primary keys should allow update access.

Bill Wood
GE Lighting
My opinions are entirely my own, and represent no one else. Received on Sat Aug 27 1994 - 00:43:07 CEST

Original text of this message