Re: A bad block analyzer

From: Thomas Keul <tk_at_ivu-berlin.de>
Date: 26 Aug 1994 10:20:57 GMT

Scott Mattes (Mattes_at_navsealog.i-net.com) wrote:

: I ended up doing a cold start early this a.m. and reloading the instance from
: an export. What started the whole thing was a bad block that prevented us from
: reading some of the data in one table (couldn't select it, couldn't export the
: table). Now my boss wants to know if the problem is hardware or software
: (Oracle wrote something, somehow, that it can't read - there was a user on
: doing some weird key sequences about the time the first error msgs came up).

: Is there some software, on any Oracle platform, for analyzing a bad block to
: see if it is really bad or just bad data that Oracle can't read? Next, does
: this exist on VM. BTW, I know about DSF on VM/CMS.

: Thanks.

Against ORACLE 6.0.34 this will work :

  1. insert into your init.ora event = "10210 trace name context forever, level 5:\ 10211 trace name context forever, level 5:\ 10231 trace name context forever, level 5:\ 10232 trace name context forever, level 5"
  2. shutdown and startup your DB
  3. export your "Bad Block Table"
  4. remove event... from init.ora
  5. shutdown and startup your DB
  6. drop the "Bad Block Table"
  7. import the export.dmp

I couldn't believe, but it will do.

Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Keul                           tk_at_ivu-berlin.de
IVU GmbH
Bundesallee 129                                 tel +49 30 850006 91
12161 Berlin, Germany                           fax +49 30 850006 66