Re: PL/SQL Question

From: <davidc_at_AlleleB.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: 26 Aug 1994 16:59:46 GMT

kkc_at_nauvax.ucc.nau.edu wrote:
[snip]
: We are running ORACLE 7.0.15. . . .
 [snip]
: I cannot edit and interactively run PL/SQL routines
: within SQLPLUS. I can issue a start command from within SQLPLUS and this will
: work, but this requires that I exit out to my editor, save, and come back
: into SQLPLUS and start the saved routine rather than editing within SQLPLUS
: and using the / to run my edit buffer?

: When I took the ORACLE class we were able to interactively edit. . . .
 [snip]
: Is there a way to edit and interactively run PL/SQL scripts from
: within SQLPLUS??

I've seen this before. When you run SQL*Plus, take note of the messages that appear just before the SQL> prompt. There should be two of them, one specifying the version of the RDBMS to which you have connected, and the second one specifying the version of the PL/SQL parser. My guess is that you will not see the second one. This means that your PL/SQL parser is not getting called, and it results from an error in the installation of ORACLE 7.0.15, according to the DBAs I've spoken to recently. I haven't installed a version later than 6.0.24 myself, but my impression is that you just need to rerun the installation scripts with the right options. Hope this helps.
David Clement
Consultant in ORACLE, UNIX, C

davidc_at_alleleb.berkeley.edu

Sure I work for the phone company. Doesn't everybody?