Re: Optimization question

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Aug 1994 22:17:04 -0400

In article <Cv1938.2I4_at_ncbol.msk.su> alex_at_ncbol.msk.su (Alex Stebletsov) writes:
>Pete Kuba (pkuba_at_cnj.digex.net) wrote:
>: The company that I'm working for has Oracle 7.0.13 running on SCO Unix
 on
>: a 486/66 w/ 32Mb. If there are more than a few users logged on,
>: performance starts to really lag. Since I'm a programmer and not a dba

>: (and since the company doesn't want to pay a dba), I'm wondering how to

>: answer my boss' question, "what do we need make things fast?"
>
>Add more memory and expand SGA. Try to set tunable parameters
>in init.ora file to 'large' model.

I would always recommend following the process in the back of the Oracle System Administrator's Guide and also the Unix specific manual that describe the queries that you need to run (just type in what they say and look at the results) to determine what the problem is. It may be that you have more than enough SGA space and that user space is causing your system to swap. In that case, you could benefit from reducing the SGA or PGA parameters that are set too high, thereby freeing space for your users. You won't know until you run the tests (the Unix-specific guide describes how to sun sar, vmstat, etc. to tell what the operating system is doing). Received on Fri Aug 26 1994 - 04:17:04 CEST

Original text of this message