Re: Optimization question

From: Robert A Peters <peters_at_io.cpg.cdc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 12:42:21 GMT

Pete,

I think what you need to do first is to determine what resource your running out of. Do a little work with sar and see if your cpu bound, running out of memory or working your disk to death.

Although your point about the single disk is valid, I would think that memory is your problem area. Look to see if your doing a log of swapping to disk -- which will kill a unix machine.

Regards,
Rob Peters

Pete Kuba (pkuba_at_cnj.digex.net) wrote:
: The company that I'm working for has Oracle 7.0.13 running on SCO Unix on
: a 486/66 w/ 32Mb. If there are more than a few users logged on,
: performance starts to really lag. Since I'm a programmer and not a dba
: (and since the company doesn't want to pay a dba), I'm wondering how to
: answer my boss' question, "what do we need make things fast?"
:
: These are a few things I've thought of:
:
: (1) Tune Oracle. Right now everything's set to the default
: values.
:
: (2) Get some more hard drives and split tablespaces across
: them. Right now everything's off of one drive, so
: I expect that contention is aweful.
:
: (3) Get a faster CPU, like a Pentium.
:
: I tuned most of the sql, and created indexes where they were helpful.
: The logic's close to as fast as it's gonna get.
:
: Also, I'd like to know the expected gains of the options. If (3) will
: increase performance by 100%, and (1) will only yield 20%, I'll go with
: (3).
:
: Thanks for all opinions,
: