Re: Data Browser connect string

From: Bill Manry - IBM SBU <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 22 Aug 1994 22:08:24 GMT

In article <sxdjd.123.2E54FFF8_at_orca.alaska.edu>, sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu (David DeWolfe) writes:
|> Hello all;
|>
|>According to the Oracle Data Browser (V1.0) User's Guide, the connect string
|>used to connect to a server "usually consists of three parts: the protocol
|>(identifying the network driver that connects you to the database), location
|>(of the database), and database name." We're using SQLNET V2.0.14 and have
|>not been able to successfully connect to the database. The error we're getting
|>is "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve database name" . Any thoughts or info
|>regrading the Data Browser connect string would be helpful.
|>
|>The platform is DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1, the server is running on an OSF/1
|>workstation.
|>
|>thanks in advance

The 3-part syntax pertains to SQL*Net V1. With SQL*Net V2, the connect string is a name that identifies an entry in the the SQL*Net tnsnames.ora file.

/b

Bill Manry
Oracle Corp. / Mainframe & Integration Technologies / BManry_at_us.oracle.com #include <disclaimer.usual> Received on Tue Aug 23 1994 - 00:08:24 CEST

Original text of this message