Re: FORMS - linking views by master-detail relationship

From: Mike Dickson <mdickson_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 18:00:42 GMT

KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET wrote:
: In Forms, creating a master-detail form on two TABLES is easy :

: - create the tables
: - create a foreign key constraint
: - 'default' the master block
: - 'default' the detail block (referring to the constraint)

: How can I do the same to create a master-detail form on two VIEWS ??

I can only speak for 3.0, not 4, but my guess is the answer is somewhat similiar...

The same way.

The difference between using views vs. tables is that the RDBMS won't let you insert, update, or delete rows in views. So when you create a form using a view rather than a table, you have to code in the insert, update, and delete triggers. The SQL*Forms Advanced Techniques manual gives an example of something like this in chap 6.

Again, this is in 3.0, so I don't know how it might have changed in 4.0.

--
Mike Dickson (Dir, Information Systems) | Voice    (512) 459-1000
Lutheran Social Services of the South   | Fax      (512) 452-6855