Re: FORMS - linking views by master-detail relationship

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 17:07:15 CET

Just to clarify the situation :
In article <94234.123521KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>, <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET> says:

>In Forms, creating a master-detail form on two TABLES is easy :
>
> - create the tables
> - create a foreign key constraint
> - 'default' the master block
> - 'default' the detail block (referring to the constraint)
>
>How can I do the same to create a master-detail form on two VIEWS ??

(a) If you try to default a block (with a master block)

     when there is no 'foreign key constraint'
     you get the error : FRM-11106 no master blocks available
     telling you that there is no 'foreign key constraint'
(b)  I can't see how you can implement a 'foreign key constraint'
     between two views directly.

N.B. If you :
      (a)  Create two TABLES
      (b)  Default the blocks you require
      (c)  Drop the TABLES and create VIEWS with the same names/structure
     you end up with a form which does what you want
     (but I would hope there is a better way ????)

Any ideas ?

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
ESRIN, FRASCATI, ITALIA.                         not necessarily those
                                                 of my employer.