Passing Paraemters from FORMS 4.0 for Windows to SQL*PLUS

From: F. Arthur Cochrane <cochrane_at_eisner.decus.org>
Date: 22 Aug 94 15:35:40 -0400

    I am posting the following for a co-worker so PLEASE reply to them and     I do not read this newsgroup. Their address is Karen.McTier_at_srs.gov.

    Passing Parameters from FORMS 4.0 for Windows to SQL*PLUS

    I have a form in which I create a where clause based on criterion     entered on the data screen by the user. I would like to pass this     where clause to SQL*PLUS to create an operating system file based on     the criterion entered by the user. There are approximately 30 fields     on the screen in which the user can enter data or data ranges.

    I am accessing SQL*PLUS from within FORMS with the HOST command. I am     passing the where clause variable as a parameter on the command line to     SQL*PLUS. SQL*PLUS seems to be truncating the clause at the first     space. Has anyone had experience with passing character strings from     FORMS to SQL*PLUS.

    Oracle support says a string cannot be passed as a parameter. They     suggested that I define each field in the SQL*PLUS script as &1..&n and     pass each data value on the command line, but that defeats the purpose     of dynamically creating the where clause.

    Thanks in advance.

--
    Karen McTier
    Westinghouse Savannah River Site