Re: Optimium OS Platform

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 21:36:24 GMT

In article <dpinkusCuG5Ku.L7y_at_netcom.com> dpinkus_at_netcom.com (David Pinkus) writes:

>>On 4 Aug 94 11:12am, John Whitney wrote to ALL:
>>
>> JW> We in the process of building a new Pentium server for Oracle7. We
>> JW> currently are running Oracle on a Tricord server under Netware. In terms
>> JW> of performance, is there any reason to abandon Netware for Unix or
>> JW> another OS? Oracle tech reps have told me that Netware is the fastest
>> JW> environment for Oracle since the NLM is bound into Netware, creating
>> JW> less overhead than Unix in terms of process context switching. Any
>> JW> thoughts on this?

If you are worried about performance, Netware will top out on a Pentium. If you want more performance, you will have to go away from Pentium. Even Intel admits that AXP's are way faster. And most sparcs are much better tuned for unix (well, the other way around). Less trouble starting from unix now. That's my thoughts.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.