Re: Is this stuff really SQL 92 compliant

From: wareing pti <p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 18 Aug 1994 09:38:25 +0100

Bill Wood (wood_at_dess0.light.ge.com) wrote:
> In article <
CuEL92.E23_at_genasys.com.au>, michaelh_at_genasys.com.au

>(Michael Haldey) writes:

> |> According to the Oracle SQL manual,
> |> between x and y
> |> means
> |> x <= value <= y

> This unexpected definition of 'between' is the one defined by the SQL
> standard. It doesn't match my understanding of the english word
> between, but hey, this is SQL not English.

So you define 'a number between 1 and 10' to be 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9? And 'between Monday and Friday' to be Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?

SQL's use of 'between' means 'between (inclusive)'. The English word 'between' can mean 'between (inclusive)' or 'between (exclusive)' depending on context.

--
Tommy Wareing
Oxford Brookes University