ODBC and MTS

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 22:36:20 GMT

   We received SQL*Net 2.0.15 for Windoze last week along with the respective TCP/IP protocol adapter. It would seem that this one has reverted to the V1 behaviour in terms of locking up the PC while waiting for a response to the server. This was undoubtedly done in order to accommodate all of the third party tools such as Powerbuilder and most ODBC tools which didn't realize they were supposed to wait for the database to respond before sending the next request.

   So now everyone is happy right? Everyone but me who can't figure out why ODBC tools work fine when connecting to a dedicated server but almost always run into good ol' "End of file on communication channel" when connecting to a dispatcher. I get no trace file from the dispatcher or shared server. The dispatcher just seems to hang up on the PC.

   We're using the Oracle7 1.0 ODBC driver and SQL*Net 2.0.15 TCP/IP on the PC, connecting to 7.0.16.4 on a Solaris 2.3 server. Anyone else run into this?

--
   - Doug Harris
     Database Administrator, System Development Division,