Oracle 7 - V6 Compatibility

From: Kevin Deardorff <deardorf_at_jocas-al.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 16 Aug 1994 14:09:08 -0500

Greetings Netters,
  I've been tasked to find out just what the 'V6 Compatability' option in Oracle 7 requires one to do, or NOT do. Here's the situation:   In the next couple weeks we are transferring and converting all of our applications from a DEC VAX 8650 running Oracle V6.0.36 to a DEC ALPHA running Oracle 7.0.13 (I think).
  Management has decided for now to startup the Oracle7 instance on the ALPHA with V6 compatibility. What pitfalls lie ahead? Has anyone implemented this practice? Also:

  Is it necessary to convert all chars to varchar2 in the new create_table scripts?
  Does the provided forms conversion software cover all grounds necessary?   Are roles NOT supported if V6 Compatability is invoked? Constraints?

  BTW, for some reason unbeknownst to me, they DIDN'T purchase Procedural Option.
  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. We've got two weeks to get this accomplished. I'd like to know just what we're getting into here.

  Thanx in advance. Please feel free to E-mail any advice you can spare.   No flames, though. thx.

Kevin A. Deardorff               |      THIS SPACE FOR RENT.
Systems Analyst/Programmer       |
Armstrong Laboratory             |         SECTION 8 OK.
deardorff_at_eis.brooks.af.mil      |

deardorff_at_jocas-al.brooks.af.mil |
deardorff_at_hqhsd.brooks.af.mil |