Re: Ad Hoc Query Tools

From: Vikas Gupta <Vikas_at_UH.EDU>
Date: 15 Aug 1994 10:55:20 -0500

In article <3280bt$qt2_at_gazette.medtronic.COM> mcafed_at_medtronic.com (D. McAfee) writes:
>I am in the process of evaluating ad hoc query tools to replace SQL*QMX.
>I am currently looking at SQLAssist, but would like to hear from others
>who are using or looking for query tools. If you have a good one please
>tell me about it, it you're looking tell me what you've found both the good
>and the bad.
>
>I would appreciate your replys! Thanks

SQl*QMX from oracle is equivalent to IBM's QMX. Both these tools have some common requirements. They support the full SQL select statement. In addition they have complex reporting requirements. Such as ability to create Matrix reports or cross-tab reports or as the new buzzword is multi-dimensional analysis. Another requirement is the ability to create pretty complex columnar and other types of reports.

In my analysis SQLASSIST is the only tool that fits the bill because SQLASSIST is the only tool on the market that can read your existing SQL*QMX and IBM QMX queries. Therefore the process of converting your existing reports will be very simple. SQLASSIST is a very good tool for both the begining users as well as power users. It will understand your Oracle specific queries and therefore you should have very little problem in converting your SQL*QMX reports. New users will find it easy to use. Power users like the SQL*QMX type should appreciate that SQLASSIST will not impose any limitations on them. IMO, most tools on the market are very weak and they break down as soon as you attempt something complex.

SQLASSIST has the capabilities to product complex reports as well as multi-dimensional analysis reports.

SQLASSIST is available for Microsoft Windows, UNIX/Motif and Character based terminals. It supports Oracle, Ingres, DB2, Sybase, Informix, Rdb/VMS, ODBC and many other databases. It is also available on VAX/VMS, various unices like SunOS, HP, IBM AIX, and others. We have been able to take queries from Windows and run it on Unix and vice-versa.

More information on SQLASSIST is available via email at info_at_softint.com. You may want to check out the ad-hoc query tools mailing list. Here's how to join that list.

---
To join, send the traditional mesasage:
SUBSCRIBE AD_HOC "Your Name"
to:
AD_HOC-REQUEST_at_GENIUS.RIDER.EDU
-----

Fell  free to contact me via email if you need more information.

Vikas
vikas_at_cs.uh.edu
--
 Vikas Gupta