Re: SQLSPX .DLL??

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 01:44:19 GMT

In article <32h9kp$b3j_at_search01.news.aol.com>, JamesF5088 <jamesf5088_at_aol.com> wrote:
>In article <32gcdj$54e_at_Joanna.Wes.Army.Mil>, u4imcehb_at_apollo.wes.army.mil
>(Harry Boswell) writes:
>
>>I've discovered a file called SQLSPX.DLL on my system (which I obviously
>>didn't know was there). I've been using SQLPME and SQLSPX for DOS to
>>connect to a Netware Oracle7 database. Does this DLL mean that I can
>>set up an ODBC driver to connect MS Access or others with my Netware
>>database? I tried setting it up, using "X:server:dbid", but I got the
>>message from ODBC that the server couldn't be located. Any help out
>t>here? There doesn't appear to be any documentation about this DLL.
>
>----------------------------------
>Harry -
> To date all Microsoft software require SQLSPX for DOS. You DO NOT need
>to load SQLPME, just SQLSPX. The DLL you mentioned is only used by the
>Oracle CDE tools. With SQLSPX loaded the Microsoft programs can connect
>to your Oracle database using ODBC.
>Hope this has helped.
>Jim Freeman
Jim you're a little confused.
There exists SQLSPX for DOS(I believe SQLSPX.EXE and SQLSPX.PXE). This driver may require SQLPME, check the User's Guide. There also exists SQLSPX for Windows implemented as DLLs(SQLSPX.DLL and SQLSPX1.DLL, I believe). This driver doesn't need SQLPME. These drivers and similar ones for TCP,Named Pipes, etc. are used by _ANY_ Oracle Client/Server (Windows/Dos where applicable)app, not just CDE and not just Microsoft apps. And, of course, you don't always need ODBC... You do need the ODBC driver if you want to use ODBC(it's yet another layer)...

-Keith Received on Mon Aug 15 1994 - 03:44:19 CEST

Original text of this message