Re: Optimium OS Platform

From: David Pinkus <dpinkus_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 1994 00:05:18 GMT

In article <2aa.240.846%mpcbbs_at_ax.apc.org> Carlos.Netto_at_ax.apc.org (Carlos Netto) writes:

>On 4 Aug 94 11:12am, John Whitney wrote to ALL:
>
> JW> We in the process of building a new Pentium server for Oracle7. We
> JW> currently are running Oracle on a Tricord server under Netware. In terms
> JW> of performance, is there any reason to abandon Netware for Unix or
> JW> another OS? Oracle tech reps have told me that Netware is the fastest
> JW> environment for Oracle since the NLM is bound into Netware, creating
> JW> less overhead than Unix in terms of process context switching. Any
> JW> thoughts on this?
>
>I moved from NetWare 3.11 to SCO Unix 3.2.4. The main problems experienced
>with NetWare are:
> Tools for MS-DOS (16 bit version) are slower than Unix version.
> NetWare has no virtual memory. If you need 0,5 MBytes, Server
> stops working.
> Oracle crashs if your machine have few memory, but I think that
> was solved.
>
>I read an article from Novell that Oracle for UnixWare broke TPC records.
>Maybe Oracle for Unix is now as fast as NetWare version. NetWare version
>seems to be FASTER, but SCO Unix is SAFER. Unix's filesystem is not safe,
>but you can use raw-devices.

My experiences have been that Netware is slightly faster than a x86 Unix, BUT, the small benefit you will gain in performance should be considered NEGLIGIBLE when compared to the EXPERTISE you have in shop. A Certified Netware Engineer will be able to make Oracle run smoothly on an NLM, and likewise, a good Unix hacker will be able to make Oracle run smoothly on Unix. If you don't have UNIX expertise in shop, stick with the NLM.

-David

--

David Pinkus

h 415.922.8111