Building Pro*C app for Oracle 6 & ORACLE7

From: Michael Dosik <mdosik_at_boing.pacersoft.com>
Date: 12 Aug 1994 15:51:54 GMT

Hello,

What I'm trying to do is have a Pro*C application that I've built with ORACLE7 run against Oracle 6. According to Oracle Tech Support and my own experiences, the ORACLE7 libraries are not compatible with Oracle 6. Therefore my app built with ORACLE7 does not work with Oracle 6. The error the app is getting is an ORA 12547 which is a SQL*NET TNS error. For the record, my app doesn't use SQL*NET but it won't build without including the libsqlnet library.

My work around solution was to supply two executables, one linked with Oracle 6 libraries and the other with ORACLE7 libraries and just have a soft link point to the appropriate executable depending on what version of Oracle our client is running. I copied some Oracle 6 libraries from another machine to the ORACLE7 machine. The problem here is that the ORACLE7 Pro*C compiler doesn't create code that is compatible (I think...) with the Oracle 6 libraries (i.e., unresolved function calls).

According to Oracle, the Oracle 6 libraries are forward compatible with ORACLE7. Unfortunately, building the app on the Oracle 6 machine is not really feasible.

Any ideas, past experiences, etc.,

Thanks In Advance,
Mike Dosik

Michael Dosik /\ "Imitation is the sincerest form of Software Engineer / \ / having no imagination." mdosik_at_pacersoft.com \/ -- I copied this Pacer Software, Inc. (508)-898-3300