Re: Oracle Alert

From: MAX M. MAGLIARO <mmm_at_icf.hrb.com>
Date: 12 Aug 94 07:03:18 EST

In article <31trlbINN68d_at_uwm.edu>, dbm_at_csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dennis B Meilicke) writes:
> Has anyone used Oracle Alert? Any comments?
>
> Dennis

If by this you mean the PL/SQL dbms_alert package...

yes I just started using it. It looks great so far, but again we haven't used it for more than a few weeks.

I use it in a ProFORTRAN application. Basically, we have a third-party software system in FORTRAN that interfaces to ORACLE. The operator has multiple displays of various data, conditions, and status in several windows. I used the alerts so that any time the database was changed externally, the FORTRAN program would get the alert so it could requery and update its displays. This gives us an asynchronous way to continuously update the operator's view of the database.

--
Max Magliaro
MMM_at_ICF.HRB.COM

"He may look like an idiot, and he may sound like an idiot, but don't
 let him fool you.  He really is an idiot." --- Groucho Marx