Re: Optimium OS Platform

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ax.apc.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 18:18:00 -0300

On 4 Aug 94 11:12am, John Whitney wrote to ALL:

 JW> We in the process of building a new Pentium server for Oracle7. We
 JW> currently are running Oracle on a Tricord server under Netware. In terms
 JW> of performance, is there any reason to abandon Netware for Unix or
 JW> another OS? Oracle tech reps have told me that Netware is the fastest
 JW> environment for Oracle since the NLM is bound into Netware, creating
 JW> less overhead than Unix in terms of process context switching. Any
 JW> thoughts on this?

I moved from NetWare 3.11 to SCO Unix 3.2.4. The main problems experienced with NetWare are:

        Tools for MS-DOS (16 bit version) are slower than Unix version.

        NetWare has no virtual memory. If you need 0,5 MBytes, Server
        stops working.

        Oracle crashs if your machine have few memory, but I think that
        was solved.

I read an article from Novell that Oracle for UnixWare broke TPC records. Maybe Oracle for Unix is now as fast as NetWare version. NetWare version seems to be FASTER, but SCO Unix is SAFER. Unix's filesystem is not safe, but you can use raw-devices.

bye,

| Carlos Augusto Leite Netto | Voice : +55.192.51.1153 |
| Software Design Informatica | Fax : +55.192.54.6518 |
| Oracle VAR | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ax.apc.org |
| Software Development & DBA | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto) |

| Softex 2000 member | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city |

... If you're not the lead dog, the view can be very interesting! - W. Wi

  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 47 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

Internet: Carlos.Netto_at_ax.apc.org (Carlos Netto) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.