Oracle/NetWare Batch processes

From: Henry Harrison <hharriso_at_tdc.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 10 Aug 1994 17:14:39 GMT

Is there anyone out there who is running batch processes to update an Oracle database running on Novell Netware?

I am building a Data Warehouse, and most of the data I want to use in the warehouse is extracted from the OLTP system (MDBS based) into .dbf files. I plan to use SQL*Loader in an overnight batch process to import these files into Oracle. Ideally SQL*Loader will be used in direct load mode.

Once the files are in Oracle, I then need to do various processing against them using stored procedures/client processing.

For various administrative reasons, our ideal environment for the server is Netware rather than UNIX. UNIX would give me various options for controlling the batch process, but in Netware I'm stuck.

My two main problems are (a)kicking off the process at the right time, and (b) knowing when all the SQL*Loader processes have finished and I can start manipulating the data.

Can anyone tell me any ways of achieving these - and if not in Netware, then any ways of achieving (b) in Oracle?

If not, I'm going to have to take my life into my hands and bully my system administrators to support UNIX...

Henry Harrison
hharriso_at_dircon.co.uk
or
hharriso_at_madge.com Received on Wed Aug 10 1994 - 19:14:39 CEST

Original text of this message