Re: SQLPLUS script

From: Stephen Schow <sjs_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 19:33:50 GMT

This method below is known as a HERE document. You can read more about HERE documents in a variety of UNIX shell script books on the market. We use HERE documents ALL THE TIME. I almost NEVER use straight .sql files that get START'ed by sqlplus. I rather write shell scripts with HERE documents containing SQL code(DDL and DML).

You can go all sorts of cool code generation things this way too.

Good luck.

: If you're running it in Unix, you can always write a shell script with
: input redirection such as:
: .
: . (Unix script, if any)
: .
: sqlplus -s / <<EOF
: .
: . (your sql script here)
: .
: exit
: EOF
: .
: . (Unix script, if any)
: .

: Note: the line "sqlplus ...." can have other stuff such as redirect error, etc.
: Don't put any blank line within your sql script lines. ORACLE will
: interpret that as a break in the input mode and stops (just like when
: you type in your script in SQLPLUS).
: The shell will stops your input line when it encounter EOF. You can
: change this to any character combination you want. Just make sure
: you change it at both spots.

: Have fun.
: Kim Ng
: (Just a low life contract programmer. Thus, my clients won't adopt my views.)

Steve Schow       | But you don't need to use the claw, if you
sjs_at_netcom.com    | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
(415) 354-4908    | Have I given you a clue......?
800-722-2007x4908 |                    - Baloo the Bear