Re: ORACLE Backups

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 10 Aug 1994 18:37:41 GMT

bzy_at_ornl.gov writes:

> Once you do the "shutdown abort", you should bring the database back up again
> and do a regular shutdown. Then do your file backups.
>
> Beverly

Why is this?
We were using a shutdown abort before backup and haven't experienced problems. However I have been told that this can sometimes lead to situations requiring database recovery. I have modified our backup scripts to use shutdown immediate and notified our users that they must quit their C/S application at day's end to ensure that they do not have uncommitted transactions which will get rolled-back at backup time.

If this does not work reliably (our backup script chokes if the oracle server doesn't shut down), I will have to go back to using shutdown abort. If so, I'd be real interested in knowing whether my failure to start the database and then do a shutdown normal is going to cause me some problems either during backup or, worst of all, when I attempt recovery.

Thanks,

Glenn Received on Wed Aug 10 1994 - 20:37:41 CEST

Original text of this message