Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 18:28:14 GMT

Stephane Hamel (shamel_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca) wrote:

: TiborVari (tiborvari_at_aol.com) wrote:
: : In article <CtAyAy.5Eu_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E
: : Parsons) writes:

>> (...a lot of stuff - not just you Lee, everybody)

About 6 months ago i did a very in-depth analysis of both of these tools in order to provide a recommendation to my client (as in 'employer', not 'client-server'). Here are a few impressions i had...

  o They're both very good tools. At least with the versions of both i evaluated, Eco did provide significantly more functionality. Of course, you pay for it with dollars.

  o I liked Eco's relationship with Compuware, the parent company. Patrol's relationship with BMC was too new at the time for me to get any impressions.

  o I felt Eco had more resources available to provide support, enhancements, etc.

My most important suggestion would be to not base any decision on what one of these companies says about the other. From my point of view, this is not a friendly competition. Eco told me things about Patrol's product which were completely false. Patrol wasn't any better. I had a great time filling in the following matrix...

                   About Patrol  |    About Eco
What Eco Says    |               |
What Patrol Says |               |

Keep in mind i'm not sure it's all intentional. When i worked for Oracle, everything i learned about Sybase made me wonder how they ever sold a single copy.

The bottom line is that neither one of these monitors is cheap, and they're gonna be protecting an important part of your business. Unless you ask these guys tough questions and get input from outside sources (such as Gartner Group), you're probably not gonna get the answers you need to make an informed decision.

Have fun with this (i sure did),
Barry Received on Wed Aug 10 1994 - 20:28:14 CEST

Original text of this message